Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Grammy Affair


Is it just me, or are the Grammys becoming more and more ridiculous each year? Is it just me, or did Cirque du Soleil cheapen some of the greatest music of all time, the Beatles' "A Day in the Life," with a display that only the most artistic would understand? Is it just me, or have we hit an all-time low when Song of the Year is a song about refusing treatment for substance abuse? (Apparently, it's not just me because Natalie Cole thought Amy Winehouse didn't deserve that award either, considering the lyrics. Sorry to Carrie Underwood's songwriters because you deserved it. "Before He Cheats" was pure genius. Then again, "Rehab" was too, just a bad message. Did I just contradict myself?)

Is it just me, or did Herbie Hancock make the upset of the year with his Album of the Year win? Don't get me wrong, I love Herbie to death, but for the first jazz win ever in this category, should it really have been "The Joni Letters"? Yes, it's a nice album, but I think "Gershwin's World" (another Herbie CD) was better. Frankly, I was hoping Amy would have had a clean sweep. I think she actually deserved it, considering her competition.

I could go on and on and on about the 50th Grammy Awards celebration, but I think I'll start wrapping it up. One quick note, however. Why were a majority of the main categories not announced on air? No R&B, no pop. And really, did we need to see Kanye? He's such a media hog and even tried to get respect at the expense of his dead mother. I would have much rather seen Prince or Chaka Khan give acceptance speeches, although they were both upsets. "Funk This" was not the best R&B album in my book, but I love ya, Chaka! (Did I contradict myself yet again?) And Prince did not deserve best male R&B performance for "Future Baby Mama." If "Adore" was in the category, or "Purple Rain," I would have been all for a Prince win.

Who did deserve to win? The Clark Sisters. "Blessed and Highly Favored" is truly a great gospel song, and "LIve-One Last Time" was a hot-to-death gospel CD. So the Grammys got that right. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Common win, albeit with Kanye, Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for "Southside," and Jill Scott and Lupe Fiasco win for Urban/Alternative Performance. Although I didn't review the other nominees, it's always great when talented people who don't commercialize their lyrics or personas win. So two other right votes for the Grammys!

But what was up with Patti Austin winning Best Jazz Album? That Gershwin project (unlike Herbie's) kind of sucked.

Okay. I promise. I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with your observations. I was generally disappointed in the performances and awards on Sunday, aside from the Foo-Fighters,(I could have done without the voting on some young performer to play along in the orchestra - obviously that was just about appearance and not talent)! Winehouse was applauded basically for getting through her 2 songs without a meltdown, not for quality; Fergie was out of her element; Beyonce, Kid Rock - what was that; at least Alicia Keys did a nice job. I would have loved to see Chaka - she was phenomenal in Color Purple.Anyway, for a 50th it was rather a letdown!

    ReplyDelete