Friday, April 16, 2010

The Best Jazz Albums

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't do a list of the 10 best jazz albums, in my opinion of course. We live in such a pop and hip-hop world that this often forgotten genre doesn't get the props it deserves anymore. I want to keep it alive, the true jazz, that is, because like R&B artists, jazz has gone pop and many people believe that Kenny G is jazz. (And sorry people, Najee is not jazz either.) So, in no particular order, here is my list of the 10 best jazz albums of all-time. I hope it helps you expand your music collection.

1. "Journey in Satchidananda" - Alice Coltrane (1970)
2. "A Love Supreme" - John Coltrane (1964)
3. "Porgy and Bess" - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong (1958)
4. "Jazz in Film" - Terence Blanchard (1999)
5. "Let Freedom Ring!" - Denys Baptiste (2003)
6. "A New Perspective" - Donald Byrd (1963)
7. "Speak No Evil" - Wayne Shorter (1964)
8. "Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus" - Charlie Mingus (1963)
9. "Good Night, and Good Luck" (Soundtrack) - Dianne Reeves (2005)
10. "Miles Ahead" - Miles Davis (1957)

No comments:

Post a Comment