Friday, April 16, 2010

An Update on the Future




So, I have returned, and being the air sign that I am, I'm going to allow the future of this blog to go where the wind blows me. As things come up, I will write about them, the things that move me deep in my spirit. But as I am also moved by things of the past in the world of music, I will share my thoughts on them as well.

So as I stated in my first post of this year, "The Future of Pagebu on Music," I believe in supporting the legends. To be true to my word, here is a list of 12 of the best soul albums of all time, in my opinion. These are albums you can listen to from the first track to the last. These are must-haves if you truly dig soul music. I didn't want to repeat artists, which is why I stopped the list at 12, despite some making such beautiful music several decades and the first three being composed by Curtis Mayfield. They are listed not in any particular order, but please, have a listen (www.lala.com is a great site) and let me know if you agree.

1. "Superfly" (Soundtrack) - Curtis Mayfield (1972)
2. "Claudine" (Soundtrack) - Gladys Knight & The Pips (1974)
3. "Sparkle" (Soundtrack) - Aretha Franklin (1976)
4. "Ask Rufus" - Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan (1977)
5. "Black Moses" - Isaac Hayes (1971)
6. "What's Goin' On" - Marvin Gaye (1971)
7. "Songs in the Key of Life" - Stevie Wonder (1976)
8. "Gratitude" - Earth, Wind & Fire (1975)
9. "For You" - Prince (1978)
10. "The Boss" - Diana Ross (1979)
11. "Express" - B.T. Express (1974)
12. "Everything is Everything" - Donny Hathaway (1970)

No comments:

Post a Comment